I make these little scones all the time for my family. They are quick & easy to make and perfect with a nice cup of tea. I thought I would share ….
500g / 1Ib 2oz Plain Flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1tsp sea salt
125g / 41/2oz cubed cold butter
25g / 1oz caster sugar
275ml / 9floz buttermilk
50g / 2oz caster sugar or granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 220c deg or gas mark 7
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt in a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Mix the beaten egg with the buttermilk, then add this to the dry ingredients. Then mix your ingredients together to make it into a moist dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead lightly to bring the mixture together. Next press it out and using a cutter or the top of a glass make your scone shapes. (Roughly about 2cm thick.
- Brush the scones with a little bit of the egg and buttermilk wash and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on the tops if you want. Place in the oven and bake for approx 12/15 minutes or until they turn a lovely golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool or just dive in!
Sometimes to mix it up, I add some cranberries or raisins. Just add in 100g / 3 1/2 oz to your dry ingredients. You could also add in some chocolate chip pieces, these go down well with the kids.
They are lovely with some butter and jam and a lovely cup of tea. Hope you enjoyed this recipe, till next time!