Some man cake for you ! This was meant for Father’s Day but I keep forgetting to buy the Guinness! So finally I got around to making it and yes, it was worth the wait …… just in time for himself’s birthday actually.
250g/9oz unsalted butter
80g/3oz cocoa powder
400g/14oz caster sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
140ml/5fl oz buttermilk
280g/10oz plain flour
2tsp bic of soda
1/2tsp baking powder
50g/ 1 3/4oz unsalted butter
300g/ 10 1/2oz icing sugar
125g/4 1/2oz full fat cream cheese ( philadelphia)
Cocoa powder to dust
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C and line your 9inch tin with some parchment paper.
- In a pan, add the Guinness and the butter and gently heat until it has melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the cocoa powder and sugar and give it a stir
- In another bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla essence and buttermilk together, then add this mixture to the mixture in the pan.
- Sift the flour, bic of soda and baking powder into a bowl. Next add the wet ingredients from the pan and mix together in your mixer ( or use a hand held mixer) Mix all the ingredients well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes or until your skewer comes out clean.
- Leave it to cool on a wire rack and prepare your topping
- Using your mixer, mix together the softened butter and the icing sugar until it is sandy looking. Then add the cream cheese and mix altogether on a low speed. Do this until the mixture is light and fluffy looking.
- Once the cake has cooled completely you can add this topping and sprinkle some of the cocoa powder on top.
This cake I found was a bit heavy, so only a small slice for me, but it’s still delicious and went down well with himself.
Till next time !