The Letter Birthday Cake!

April was a busy month in our house for birthdays, my two smallies both had their birthdays in April, so lots of Cake time!

This cake recipe I got from an old friend, we just call it the letter cake, kinda says it all really, a cake made in the child’s initial!   It’s simple enough to make, just cutting out the initial is the only hard bit and you can then decorate away to your hearts content!

Here’s the cake ….

Recipe for a Letter Birthday Cake

Recipe:

350g/ 12oz butter, softened
350g/ 12oz caster sugar
6 eggs
2 tbsp of cocoa powder
350g/ 12oz plain flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder

Large roasting tin – I used one about 12 x 14in with 2inch sides

• Preheat the oven to 180oC and line/butter your roasting tin
  • Cream the butter, add the sugar and beat until soft and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs to the mixture.
  • Sift in the flour with the baking powder & cocoa and fold together until it’s all mixed.
  • Put the mixture into the roasting tin and bake in the oven for 35/40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
  • Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes or so, then turn your cake out onto a wire rack, take off the parchment paper and allow to cool completely.
  • Recipe for Letter Cake

Now for the fun part – make the initial (or number if you want )

• Draw a template for the initial or number you are going to use on a piece of paper, cut it out and place on the cake.  Cut around your template using a sharp knife.  Do it slowly and you will get the shape right ….. ok all good now onto decorating!

Recipe for Letter Cake

Recipe for Letter Cake

I decorated using some chocolate butter icing and melted white chocolate and then I just sprinkled like mad with the sprinkles and little gold & silver balls and anything I had in the cupboard really.  I went a bit overboard but the little man liked it!

So have you done any kiddie birthday cakes, any suggestions?

Till next time!

# I LINK UP HERE ..!

Evans CAke5

Advertisements

22 thoughts on “The Letter Birthday Cake!

1. amylovestosew says:

Lovely! My daughter turns 1 in November, but I’m already wondering if I could make her first birthday cake – I’d like to but I’m pretty rubbish at baking. Maybe this could be the cake (and her name begins with E, perhaps that’s a sign!) #craftingismytherapy

2. Jennifer Jain says:

What a brilliant cake, it looks lovely! My favourite complicated-looking cake is a pinata cake where you cut a hole in the middle and fill it with sweets that fall out when you cut it, I’m not very good when it comes to decorating cakes though! Thanks for linking up to #craftingismytherapy

Liked by 1 person

3. fairyqueen says:

This type of cake would be perfect in my house, simple enough for me to do but still having the wow factor!

mainy – myrealfairy

glad to of found your post through #craftingismytherapy

Liked by 1 person

4. Me, You and Magoo says:

Wow! This cake looks amazing. I think I might attempt this for Magoo’s next birthday…love the look of the white chocolate with sprinkles.
    The last complicated cake I made was for my daughter’s 3rd birthday. She was obsessed with dragons, so I looked on Pinterest & Youtube and embarked on making a dragon shaped cake. Think I remember crying in the kitchen at 10pm because it was all going wrong. Then I pulled myself together, slapped more icing on & it ended up looking just fine. She loved it. You can see it here…
    Thank you for linking up with May’s #craftingismytherapy

Liked by 1 person

• themessybrunette says:

Think I got away easy on this cake, don’t think I could have managed a dragon !! Next year could be interesting they are getting older so the requests could get harder!!

5. randommusings29 says:

This is fab, so simple yet so effective! And a bonus of a bit of spare cake if you don’t want to wait for some 🙂
    Thanks for linking up to #BloggerClubUK 🙂
    Debbie

Liked by 1 person

6. limmster says:

That’s very cool! My mum makes all the grandkids in their requested shapes. She has done everything from princesses, ladybirds, unicorns, lego brick, train, football, Spot the Dog, dinosaur, an iPhone and surfboard!

Liked by 1 person

7. Zeens and Roger says:

Looks yummy!! I got the last of the Minecraft cake out the freezer yesterday so I could have my own birthday cake. Not very glamourous to have second hand cake but it was still tasty! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

8. Carolyn says:

Aah, the novelty birthday cakes! Now just a distant memory for me! Yep, did my share – the swimming pool cake, number cake, clock, High School Musical, number cake with meringues on top! Even decorated one whilst I had a freshly broken finger! Hope they remember all these things I did for them!

Liked by 1 person